6.16.2011

Natural Hair Workshop. . .


      This past Saturday, I had the pleasure of attending my very first natural hair event in the form of Kinky Curly Coily Me! workshop for those seeking some love, support and knowledge pertaining to the care of natural hair.  I believe it was a great workshop, especially for those ladies who were newly natural, thinking about transitioning and/or those who were in search for some tips.  The two presenters, Jenell of Kinky Curly Coily Me! and Keisha of Naturallyahsiek (and YouTube video blogger), were very inviting, humorous and informative.  They were not afraid to share their natural hair "secrets" and were very conversational.
     
      I attended the workshop with two friends, one that has been natural for a month (Tahlia, on below left) and one who has been natural since 2009 (Kia, below right).  I loved this dynamic! 


        Although we arrived late -sad face-, I still appreciated the event!  I was able to hear about the regimes used by Jenell and Keisha, tune in to the Q&A that went on throughout the presentations and get to see all the heads of beautiful natural hair that were present in one room!  It is so empowering and uplifting to be surrounded by women from all walks of life that are embracing themselves. I love it! Needless to say, I would love to attend more natural hair events in the future.

      Towards the conclusion of the workshop, we were able to choose a product (either an avocado & coconut milk deep conditioner or a honey and olive oil hot oil treatment) made by Keisha and a Shea Moisture product. 
      I choose the hot oil treatment (my hair says "definitely not" to a lot of protein) and the -deep breath- Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner w/ Sea Kelp, Argan Oil & Shea Butter (long name right? lol).  Hmmm, product reviews coming soon, perhaps?

      A few pics:
Jenell (right) and I

Keisha (left) and I

Keshia, Me & Jenell
       It was great meeting everyone! And, thank you for making my very first natural hair event/meet up wonderful.  The hair and I are happy, lol!  BTW, if you are wondering, my hair was a "wash and go" swept into a side puff. 

      And, since we were already in New York (when in Rome NY), we decided to hit up Dallas BBQ's, randomly ran into a Greek festival and went dancing. Nice day/night I must say!


 

Live today,
oxox

4 comments:

  1. wow, all that beautiful hair *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks like you ladies had fun at the meet up…I’m currently transitioning wearing kinky twist. I think I will be ready to do my big chop soon…can’t wait! Thanks for sharing all the natural hair info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nika... thank u for the comment =)

    @ Katie Mac. . .please post pics when u do chop!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for coming!

    www.KinkyCurlyCoilyMe.com

    ReplyDelete